Sunday, November 30, 2008

Graceful as a Swan


This is NOT a good picture of me. For starters, I have a broken foot. Seriously! I'm desperately trying to come up with an exciting story where I attempt some amazing feat and fail, or maybe I run into the street to save a child from an oncoming car, or maybe I'm mugged and my attacker smashes my foot with a crowbar. Sadly, none of these stories are true. The embarrassing truth is I rolled my ankle on the bottom stair (as seen in the picture) and landed on our tile floor with my foot in a position that feet do not like to find themselves in. I heard a very loud pop (think of popping your knuckles into a microphone), and I was back on the stair! We got a "get out of church free card" but it was accompanied with a "visit the ER" card. I got X-rays which confirmed that my fifth metatarsal is broken at the base. They put my leg in a splint, and I'm scheduled to return to the doctor late next week. The little guy thinks my "stilts" are pretty cool, and the pip-squeak keeps managing to find the sorest part of my foot and say, "Owee, mommy?" I will have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor next week, where he may or may not put me in a permanent cast. I'm scheduled to be on crutches for the next four weeks so if you're up for a good laugh come on over and see me hobble up and down the stairs with my gimpy leg. I know my family is enjoying it!

10 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, I am so sorry. Thats gotta suck!

Alicia said...

I happen to appreciate the truth more than some lame heroic story. At least now we can all laugh and not feel bad!

Kim H. said...

My lame store beats yours..think of rock the size of a peanut and then imagine how that broke my foot! Sorry, I have a house full of stairs and I feel for you. Hope all goes well at the Dr.

The Gentry's said...

That is horrible, if they put you in a cast hopefully it is a walking cast! That way you don't have to be so sore under the arms. Of course, that could be a good excuse for haveing everyone else wait on you hand and foot!! ;)

Megan said...

bummer! I like your stories...I'd go with the rescuing the child one!

Rachel said...

I can't believe that happened! I am so sorry! Let me know if you need something!

Smooth Sailing said...

OK Harmony, I know you just wanted to be like me when I broke my foot. Only I was 7 months preggy with Justin! I was getting out of our BIG LIFTED truck and caught my flip flop on the carpet and fell out head first. Twisted my foot on the way out and then ran for the train. WEll, by the time I got to Del Mar my foot was huge. The doc just laughed and said "Good Timing". He put me in a walking cast so I could bathe (push for that one) although I didn't actually do much walking. He didn't want me to injure the doc when I gave birth.

I wish I was there to help you. Remember to keep a shoe on the other foot so your hips don't start to hurt. Is there a rewind button anywhere? I sure could use one.

Luv you

Christy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. I remeber being on crutches in 6th grade. Not fun! Good luck! We should plan another play date sometime!

The Johnson Family said...

That Sucks!! Sorry Harm! I hope that you heal quickly and lean to use those crutches, I mean stilts!

Sissy Jackson said...

Sorry friend but you do look great!