Tuesday, July 6, 2010

FREEEEEDOM!!!

No? Could it be? From the bowels of the world wide web re-emerges the most entertaining blog in all blogdom. OK so the last part is overkill but let it be known (to the two of you who read this...one of whom is my mom) that from this point on I promise to try to commit to updating the blog on a more semi-regular basis. How's that for a guarantee?

First on the list of things to blog about. Gratitude. I am so thankful for the blessing we all have of living in this wonderful country. I know I sometimes take for granted the privilege of living how I want, worshiping how I want, playing what I want, and working how I want when in reality people around the world are willing to die to find the same freedoms I sometimes don't even recognize as blessings. I can't even begin to express my gratitude for those who so willingly put themselves in harms way to fight for freedom for our country and for countries around the world. Thank you for all you do. Truly. Thank you to family members and friends who have risked their lives, or are doing so right now, to serve our country a world away from the comforts you are used to. I love you and thank you and pray for a speedy return for all of you.

It was a nice long weekend at our house. Nothing to exciting but a fun Fourth all the same. Saturday we woke up EARLY to go and see the balloon festival down in Provo.
The wind decided to whip up and we only saw a couple of balloons fill up and none take off but the kids had fun watching the balloons crash into each other and into innocent bystanders, cars, etc.
The balloons were blowing into each other and it took a lot of people to keep them on the ground once they were filled with air.
The pig just couldn't stay up. The wind was getting pretty strong and it was blowing into the truck and the people walking by.

Since we were up bright and early we took advantage of going out to breakfast before the Saturday morning crowds rushed in for pancakes. Then we were off to Home Depot. Yes, Home Depot. The first Saturday of every month kids can go and build a little project for free. My kids love it. The pip-squeak loves to "bam" the nails in with her "bammer"...then mom has to just finish up. This month: a periscope.


The little guy practically builds these all by himself now. Jon sticks around wishing he had his own kit to work on.


Saturday night we went to the fireworks at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. I love showing up when it's still light, getting a great spot, and then just playing with the fam until firework time. Jon's younger brother tagged along and the kids LOVED playing frisbee with him while it was still light. My sweet little pip-squeak was a little distracted by the noise but overall it was great. Plus we got a great spot and didn't have to wait forever to get out of the parking lot and on our way home.

Sunday was a nice lazy day with a great BBQ of all the thing just our family likes to eat. That is SO much easier to do when you have a BBQ by yourself! Monday we were off to hike Stewart Falls. It was gorgeous weather and the mountains were so green and pretty. The kids did great. The little guy hiked the entire way and my pip-squeak was a trooper and did a big part of the hike on her own! I was pleasantly surprised. We should definitely go hiking more often. The waterfall was fun. Jon and his brother Nick were brave enough to go stand under it. Looks like Jon got the better spot...

Can you spot Jon's younger brother behind that wall of water?


No this is not Jon's entire family. In fact, it is only a smattering of the entire clan. Jon's dad, brother and younger sister and fam joined in.

I love that our kids are old enough to enjoy the outdoors now. I guess I should rephrase. I'm glad they're old enough that now Jon and I can enjoy the outdoors with them. I'm not the type to brave camping our or hiking with tiny babies or kiddo's so it will be fun to start enjoying our mountains a little bit more. When we got home I thought they'd be wiped out, but the first thing the little guy said after getting cleaned up was, "Can we hike timp tomorrow?" Looks like I need to work out a little bit more if I'm going to keep up with him!


Well, there you have it. A long overdue blog post on a long weekend. A very happy (albeit belated) Independence Day to all of you!! I promise to try and post more...if you promise to try and read more...

4 comments:

Kim H. said...

I miss those mountains! And amen on the kids getting bigger thing...this was our first year without screaming through fireworks.

Heather said...

It's about time lady! You know its bad when I've updated my blog more recently than you have. You guys look great! glad you have a good 4th!

The Johnson Family said...

Yay! Back on the blogging bandwagon :) Looks like you guys had a great 4th...I LOVE the 4th of July!

Alicia said...

WOW! Your baby is soooooo grown up! The first picture suprised me! Glad you will be a semi blogger. Nice to know you are doing well.