Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sugar-Addicts Unite

Psst...you are now finding out a dirty little secret that I don't like to share with anyone. When I get bored I bake...and eat. OK, so it's not really a secret, and by the fit of my pants one could assume I've been quite bored lately. My last post was about cookies, and this one is too. (SHOCKER, I know!) Around the holidays I bake a lot of cookies and pies; during the rest of the year, not so much. So, here is a delicious (if I do say so myself) adapted recipe for a cool item I found at the store: Cinnamon Chips. I found Hershey's Cinnamon Chips just down the baking isle and thought I'd give them a try. The recipe on the bag sounded a bit ho-hum so I "improved" it, and they were goooood.

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookies
1/2 c. butter
1. packed light brown sugar
1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 c. OLD-FASHIONED oats
1 c. cinnamon chips

Heat oven to 350. Beat butter and sugars in bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking soda & cinnamon; add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in oats and cinnamon chips.

Drop by rounded TABLESPOONS (no one likes a tiny cookie) onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minutes then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Makes about 3 dozen.


My recipe varies from the original by using less butter, old fashioned oats instead of quick oats, adding cinnamon to the dough, and using less cinnamon chips. No offense to the Hershey's people (if it was my product I'd tell you to use the whole bag too) but adding the entire bag would make for one super sweet cookie. I think one cup was just the right amount. I also decided not to add the raisins, because raisins are nasty, but if you are a left-on-the-vine-for-too-long, shriveled fruit lover I bet raisins adding 3/4 c. raisins might appeal to your palette.

So if you trust me, try these cookies and let me know what you think.

No comments: