Monday, October 13, 2008

FHE, PDQ

I have a confession to make...our family is TERRIBLE at Family Home Evening. Tonight was quite successful but we need help. I know I have amazing friends with GREAT ideas so I am asking you all to pretty, pretty please help me. If you have any great, fun, creative and/or inspirational FHE lessons please leave me a little comment with your advice. I really want to have FHE become a regular part of our family life. I could do hours of research to try and find a bunch of lessons, but I'm hoping the easy way out will help me, and hopefully help all of you too. Check back and see if anyone leaves a comment that your family can use for FHE.

(Oh, and if you're not in on the 1991 slang PDQ stands for "pretty darn quick". I doubt they use that in text-lingo but it's the best I could do!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some URL's for FHE lessons!
http://ldslivingmagazine.com/categories/show/3

http://deseretbook.com/mormon-life/curric/archive?area_id=7

Kim said...

A recent favorite of mine was pulling out our wedding pictures and letting the kids look at them. Then talking about eternal marriage and why we go to the temple. It was so fun to watch me kids look at our wedding pictures. I don't think they'd ever seen them. It seemed like Austin had the realization that we lived lives before he lived life.

We also like to memorize articals of faith then call grandma and grandpa to recite them. Of course, there is a treat for that.

Another is I like to pull out a game of theirs and figure out a way to tie it to a gospel principle. Recently we played hullabaloo and talked about following the Holy Ghost.

Good Luck!

Guymon Family said...

I just bought the new nursery manual from the distribution center called "Behold Your Little Ones". I think the lessons will make great FHE lessons.

Jes said...

My sister and I have been making the best little FHE lessons and they are just from the Youngest Primary Manual. You will have to come check them out. We love them, the kids love them and the best part is that if you ever have that Primary calling you just grab the folder and have the instantly prepared lessons. There is one for every week of the year almost and you can supplement with some others. We have taken a break and have done half, but now that it is getting cold we are ready to do more. We would love to have you join us. Come check them out sometime. Give me a call 830-8897

Maren said...

Noah is pretty young, so we're just starting to really get into the FHE thing with him. Usually I choose a scripture story and tell it, along with pictures. I have the the Gospel Family Art Kit (it's called something like that) that they sell at the church distribution center. It has a ton of pictures like the church library has. I'm looking for more good FHE ideas like you, too. Like Deeann said, I think the nursery manual is really good. We used it for our last home evening. You might want to add a little something to its lessons in order for little guy to enjoy them (they're written for nursery kids after all), but I think it would be a good start, and especially helpful for pip-squeak.

Unknown said...

Thanks to everyone who have really given me some GREAT ideas! I am truly thankful that I have so many great friends and inspirational people in my life :)

Rhonda said...

I agree about the new Nursery manual - it's awesome because it has all the images for lessons in the book, no needing to find them online (or borrow them from the church libraries when teaching!)

Also, I have a young kid oriented Family Home Evening manual our Relief Society put together a couple years ago - remind me the next time you think about it, and you can photocopy it! They are short story type lessons, most with props or pictures.

Julia said...

We've been using the gospel art kit, because Annalise will only pay attention if she's holding the picture. My sister uses the Book of Mormon reader that's in comic book form. She says that works really well. I like those ideas because they take almost zero preparation and are quick for short attention spans.
Our favorite activity lately is making paper airplanes then throwing them off the couch or down the stairs.

Jessica Mason said...

check out www.craftycopies.com - it's an FHE website that I found a few years ago (gotta love google) - also, you can stop by the store in Orem